On May 16 jazz musicians will gather at Central Washington University to remember the late jazz educator John Moawad in the way that he would most appreciate: a day-long jam session!
Moawad was a charismatic educator who brought jazz to high school and college classrooms before it was “normal” in the Pacific Northwest. During his 30-years at CWU he built what arguably was and still is the best instrumental and vocal jazz program on the West coast. He also built jazz programs at Nathan Hale High School and Stevenson High School in Seattle. His former students run many of the top Northwest Middle and High School jazz programs.
– Central Washington University in Ellensburg, WA–just 100 miles from Seattle!
– Student Union & Recreation Center Ballroom
1:00 – 5:00 PM, with tours of the CWU Music Building beginning at noon
An admission donation of $10 will cover costs of the event and help fund the Moawad Jazz Scholarship Fund.
The celebration will feature performances by alumni of CWU’s jazz program:
– Pre 1985 jazz band organized by Norm Wallen
– 1986-96 jazz band organized by Jake Bergevin
– Pre 1985 vocal jazz ensemble organized by Dave Barduhn
– 1986-96 vocal jazz ensemble organized by Dave Cazier